The Parish of St Teresa of Avila will celebrate its Centenary in Jan 2025. St Teresa’s School opened in 1898, with Fr Hearne of Sacred Heart Parish as Parish Priest of the area.
He died in 1920 and it was 1925 before St Teresa’s was officially designated as a new Parish, with Fr Henry Fitzgerald tasked with developing the Mission Church in the Newtown area of St Helens. He began building a temporary church, which was opened in 1927, and the new Parish thrived.
Fr Fitzgerald continued to work tirelessly on fundraising for a new church. He died in 1952 and Fr Morrissey was appointed Parish Priest. Building began in Feb 1964, and in Sep 1964 the newly appointed Archbishop of Liverpool, The Most Reverend George Andrew Beck, blessed the foundation stone of this new church.
The new St Teresa’s Church was opened and Consecrated by Archbishop Beck in Jul 1965. History was made – the Consecration and Solemn High Mass for the opening of the Church was in English for the first time in the history of the Roman Catholic Church in England. This Solemn High Mass was celebrated by parish priest Fr. Francis Morrissey. For him, it was the end of many weeks of preparation; he translated the psalms, hymns, antiphons, and directions for the three-hour-long service from Latin and Greek into English.
The Parish has had over 30 priests over the last 99 years, including Bishop Tom Neylon and current Parish Priest Fr Martin Kershaw. Historian Christine O’Neill is compiling a history of the Parish from 1925 and would be most grateful for any photographs or written memories of any significant moments in the Parish’s history and how the Liturgical year was celebrated. People may have recollections of the many Sodality, Confraternity and parish groups which formed a great religious and social bond between parishioners.
As generations progress through the life of a Parish, many find work and make lives elsewhere, but still have treasured memories of St Teresa’s Parish.
If you can help provide further material for this historical compilation to help celebrate the Parish Centenary in 2025, please contact Christine by emailing: email@example.com or calling 01744 605087
News from around the Archdiocese of Liverpool
LIVERPOOL CATHEDRAL CELEBRATING 50 YEARS
- A LOOK BACK AT OUR COMMEMORATIVE ISSUE
A Parish that made history in 1965
Historian Christine O’Neill is compiling a history of the Parish from 1925 and would be most grateful for any photographs or written memories of any significant moments in the Parish’s history