News from around the Archdiocese of Liverpool
Father John McLoughlin along with clergy from Warrington celebrated a Thanksgiving Mass at St Bridget’s Church to bid a fond farewell to the Poor Servants of the Mother of God who are leaving after twenty-seven years of service.
Sister Brenda and Sister Elizabeth were relocated in August when the convent closed. The Feast of our Lady of Walsingham, was chosen for the celebration because it marked the anniversary of the founding of the Order in 1869 when Francs Taylor (Venerable Mother Magdalen) and a small number of like-minded women gathered round a statue of Our Lady to offer their lives to the service of the poor and the vulnerable.
Frances Taylor was the youngest daughter of the Rector of an Anglican Church in Stoke Rochford, Lincolnshire. She became a volunteer nurse in the Crimean war, and it was there that she was baptised as a Catholic. She herself always attributed this to the courage and faith of the dying Irish soldiers, most of whom were little more than teenagers. But it was the influence of Father Manning, later Cardinal Manning, himself a convert from Anglicanism, that helped Frances to find her own vocation. He showed her the London behind the façade of power and wealth and encouraged her to visit the poor and the inmates of the workhouses.
The departure of the Poor Servants of the Mother of God marks yet another Religious Congregation leaving Warrington: Benedictines, Vincentians, Daughters of the Heart of Mary, Cross and Passion Sisters have all left in recent years; and the Sisters of Charity of St Paul, Apostle now have just one Sister still based in Warrington.